.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RezBlog

Now that they gave me the source code I have set out to change the world. . . BRB!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rose Creek, Somewhere on the Rez, United States

Sometimes I think solipsism is real and you're not...

Friday, September 10, 2004

I Wish I had said That!

If you are into the whole VoIP debate you are either going to love this (or hate it if you are a "legacy" telco). These are quotes by FCC Chairman Michael Powell during an interview at the Always On 2004 Innovation Summit (keynote Fireside Chat):

"I knew it was over when I downloaded Skype. When the inventors of KaZaA are distributing for free a little program that you can use to talk to anybody else, and the quality is fantastic, and it's free ­ it's over. The world will change now inevitably."

"One of the hardest things I'm trying to convince governors presidents and leaders of the world [about]. Your kidding yourself if you think you can trap this in your little glass bottle like you're accustom to doing. The phone system right now is regulated on all kinds of metrics that will not ever work again."

"We're very accustom in law to regulating based on geography, distance, and time. All of which the internet shatters. Time becomes almost imperceptible, distance is unimportant, and geography is fiction."

"Go ahead... make this world hostile for VOIP. It will just go to Italy."

This is just too funny! I wish I had said that! Right on.... the genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back. Hey, didn't I say that to a few Telco Board Members and General Managers last summer??? Sorry... had to say that in case any of them trip upon my site.

Way to go, Mr. Powell! Now if you will follow through and do right by not regulating this technology you may become my new hero!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home