.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

RezBlog

Now that they gave me the source code I have set out to change the world. . . BRB!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rose Creek, Somewhere on the Rez, United States

Sometimes I think solipsism is real and you're not...

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

07/22/2003 8:55 PM -0700

Sometimes you just gotta love being NDN. Growing up I used to look forward to summers and the whole pow wow scene: dances, stick games, rodeos, fairs, and all the good lookin' NDN's you could ever lay your eyes on! I remember being on a quest to meet every single NDN there ever could be to meet one at a time, and I made it a point to hit every pow wow every single week end. Of course, this is how us natives grew up.... ever nomadic and ever social. I used to love the fact that my family always wanted to leave on Thursdays - camper's night. It was my favorite because it gave me a chance to get a good head start, especially with the 49's!

Now I won't say I lost my love for the pow wow life, but I have not made camper's night for years, and I certainly don't go to every pow wow every week end anymore. And what about 49's? Let's just say I am lucky if I can remember two songs. But hey, I can at least say there are still four good outdoor pow wows that I never miss out on, and the first one is this week end.

The one thing I look forward to the most is watching the Prairie Chicken dancers. This is absolutely my favorite dance, and I have been known to become very absorbed - mesmerized - watching. It is hard to dispute that this is one of the best dances on this earth, and they are in an elite category of their own. But not everyone who thinks they are a chicken dancer is. There are some who may be better off going back to straight dancing, grass dancing, or some other category. But there is one dancer in particular who is very very good. To say he has the style, the moves, the grace, does not even come close to serving him justice. He is really an awesome dancer, and will definitely command my attention this weekend.

OK, so maybe I will not make camper's night.... this year.... again... but hey, is that a 49 song I hear coming on? Sounds like a one-eyed Ford to me.... LOL.... yeah, gotta love being NDN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home